• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
• A thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• A small piece of fresh turmeric, grated
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 Jazz apple, grated on the large holes of a box grater
• 200g red split lentils, well rinsed
• 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Lime juice, coconut yoghurt, chopped coriander and a sprinkle of chilli flakes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
Suitable for freezing
Jazz Apple and Ginger Dahl
Add the coconut oil to a large pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the curry and cumin powders and cayenne pepper, and cook for a few minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the onion starts to caramelise and turn golden.
Add the ginger, turmeric and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the apple and lentils and stir to mix.
Stir in the coconut milk and 500ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are soft and the consistency is creamy. Season with salt and black pepper.
Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, chopped coriander and some chilli flakes.