Ten Ways to Show Random Acts of Kindness
We’ve all seen the videos on social media of people handing out flowers or cash to strangers and making their day – but have you ever wondered how you can do the same in your local community? It’s Random Acts of Kindness Day on the 17th February so here are our top ten ways to show kindness where you live.
- Run for charity. Raising money for a cause close to your heart is always going to be a wonderful thing to do, especially so when you consider that all the money you raise will be going to people you don’t know. Check out the One Magazine’s What’s On pages for details of some organised runs happening in your area.
- Give the gift of caffeine. Many local cafes in Devon offer customers the opportunity to pay for their own drink of choice and then pay for another one too, which can be claimed by anyone in need. You could also buy the person behind you in the queue a coffee or purchase a gift voucher to hand to a key worker.
- Double whammy. Visit a small local business and spend some money with them; why not buy something that you can gift to someone else? You’ll make the business owner and the recipient’s day too.
- Drop a compliment. If a stranger has ever come up to you and paid you a compliment on your hair/coat/dog etc then you’ll know you don’t forget that in a hurry! Why not approach someone in your local supermarket or somewhere and give them a sincere compliment – sure, it takes bravery to do it, but it makes the act of kindness even sweeter. You’ll feel great about yourself and so will they!
- Clean it up. Whether it’s the street you live on, your classroom, or your office, why not make a mental note to regularly pick up any litter you come across. No one in particular will benefit from this one, but the community, class, or workplace will – if you fancy broadening your horizons, why not combine a beach walk with a litter picking session too.
- Eat local. By visiting a local restaurant, you not only support a local business, but local supply chains do too, and your support of the restaurant in turn keeps your local High Street/town/city a vibrant place to visit. And while you’re there, why not leave a generous tip and make your server’s day?
- Get your Bake Off on. Making someone a cake has to be one of the greatest gifts you can give! Why not pick a neighbour and drop by a traybake – or divide it up and share slices with a few neighbours? Alternatively, take cupcakes or doughnuts into your workplace for a tasty treat.
- Keep in touch. Go through your phone contacts and send a text to someone you haven’t seen in a while to let them know you’re thinking of/miss them/would like to see them. Such a simple way to brighten someone’s day.
- Leave a review. Do you think that new bakery in town is the best thing since, well, sliced bread? Then tell them! Either in person, on social media, via Trip Advisor or even just singing their praises to everyone you know – spread your newfound love and make the business and everyone else who visits very happy.
- Smile. Perhaps the biggest gift you have to give is there on your face! Smile at anyone you pass and enjoy their smiles in return.
How will you be showing random acts of kindness around Devon? Let us know in the comments, we’d love to be inspired by your ideas!
See more like this
(Five Minute Read)
Summer is officially here and there is no better place to head when the sun is shining than the beach. We are spoilt for choice in Exeter, Exmouth, Mid Devon, East Devon and Newton Abbot – you’re never very far from a glorious beach.
(Four Minute Read)
We are all about keeping things local at the One Magazine; supporting local businesses in Exeter, Exmouth, East Devon, Mid Devon, and Newton Abbot is at the heart of everything we do.