How to Create a Great Advert
So, you want to advertise in your local area, but aren’t sure how to get your message across? We have years of expertise in publishing an advertising magazine in Exeter, Exmouth, Mid Devon, East Devon, and Newton Abbot, so use our handy guide to creating a great advert for print to help you attract, inform, and secure your next customers.
- Include your logo. It sounds obvious, but your logo will help your potential customers to identify and find you, so make sure you include it in any advertising. And if you don’t have a logo, or clear brand identification, then talk to an experienced graphic designer who can help you create something memorable.
- Clearly explain your product or service. You know what you do, but do your potential customers know that too? Itemising your products or services will convey clearly just what you have to offer and if you’re the right fit for what a customer needs. For example, one of our customer’s adverts featured this punchy text – ‘Newton Abbot Dental – Same Day Emergency Care’ – explaining where and what the business is in just a few short sentences.
- Give your customers a reason to use you. Do you have a unique selling point? Perhaps you’re the only company in Exmouth that offers a particular cleaning service or stocks Exe Coffee; think about what makes you stand out from your competition and then condense that into a pithy statement to give potential customers an extra reason or incentive to choose you.
- Provide a call to action. No one can resist a discount code or special offer, right? While a call to action doesn’t necessarily have to mean you giving money away (although that’s a good tactic) providing a reason to use your services quickly is never a bad thing – ‘while stocks last’, for example. Something like ‘10% off xyz with this advert’ is a double win – you get the customer with the perk of knowing your advert is working.
- Local landline number. When people look for a local service, such as a plumber or electrician, they really want them to be local to them, so make sure your potential customers know you are by including a local landline number in your advert, as well as a mobile number. And if you cover a wider area, make that clear in your advert; ‘Exeter based plumber covering Exeter, Exmouth, Mid Devon, East Devon, and Newton Abbot’ – potential customers will love your transparency.
- Make sure your advert is designed by an expert. We’ve all had a bash at word art, or better still, clip art, but that doesn’t make you a qualified designer when it comes to putting an advert for print together. It really is best to trust the experts, who will know how to keep it simple while impactful. A well-designed advert will give a good first impression to potential customers, which is a must in print advertising.
- Know your audience. This really comes down to how you present yourself to your target audience. If you’re a kitchen fitter that specialises in high end installation, using phrases such as ‘bespoke’ ‘locally crafted’ and ‘handmade’ will have your potential customers salivating. Really thinking about the type of people you want to attract and reflecting that in the words and imagery you use in an advert, will work wonders.
- Be seen to be believed. It sounds obvious, but once you’ve got a well thought out, expertly designed advert – get it out there! Repetition will strengthen your brand’s identity, as will placement in trusted local publications, and it won’t be long before you start to reap the rewards.
See more like this
(Five Minute Read)
Summer is officially here and there is no better place to head when the sun is shining than the beach. We are spoilt for choice in Exeter, Exmouth, Mid Devon, East Devon and Newton Abbot – you’re never very far from a glorious beach.
(Four Minute Read)
We are all about keeping things local at the One Magazine; supporting local businesses in Exeter, Exmouth, East Devon, Mid Devon, and Newton Abbot is at the heart of everything we do.
(Five Minute Read)
Spring is here, so let’s get out and enjoy it! Here’s our list of the top ten things to do in Exeter, Exmouth, Mid Devon, East Devon, and Newton Abbot when the sun is out and new life is everywhere.