Serves 6, Ready in 50 minutes plus chilling
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150g unsalted butter, diced
- 100g ground almonds
- 4 tbsp caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 large egg yolks blended with 2 tbsp ice cold water
- 6 large fresh, ripe peaches, skinned, stoned and sliced
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts, chopped
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the butter and using your fingertips rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in half the ground almonds and half the sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and water. Stir with a round-bladed knife to form a crumbly dough (add a little extra cold water if the mix is too dry). Gather the mixture together with your hands and knead gently until just smooth. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill in the fridge for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a rough circle about 30cm in diameter. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the rest of the ground almonds in the centre of the pastry circle, leaving a 7cm border. Arrange the peach slices on top of the almonds. Fold the pastry border inwards – just over the edges of the peach slices.
- Brush the pastry edge with beaten egg and sprinkle over the chopped pistachios. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Sprinkle over the rest of the sugar and serve warm or cold with scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Tip: To skin peaches, score a cross in the skin with the tip of a knife then cover with boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water for a further minute – the skins should peel off easily.
Have you tried this recipe yet? Let us know if you enjoyed it by leaving a comment below!